Sunday, December 30, 2007

Dream makers vs. Dreams breakers: Focus

Ah the holidays are finally coming to an end. Don't get me wrong; I love this time of the year. Enjoying company of family and friends and the food... of course the food.

However, I found it to be the hardest time of the year to stay focused.

So this week I want to introduce what I personally call "Dream makers vs. Dreams breakers". I think the title is self-explanatory (at least in my mind). So what are they? My definition is whatever will either help you accomplish your dreams or take you far away from it.

So the first one I want to introduce is FOCUS or LACK OF FOCUS. Lets keep this short and simple: people who manage to accomplished anything worthwhile in their life had to learn how to focus all of their energies on that goal. The contrary is true; people who suffer from “lack of focus” have a really hard time accomplishing something. Two quick examples to illustrate:

Someone with focus: an athlete
I happen to be a huge sports fan. Last year I was watching the NHL finals (ok sorry to remind you guys that Sens lost); before one of the games, I heard that one of the Sens player's wife gave birth the night before. I said to myself “What a mess! I hope he won't start tonight… just when the team needed him”. Guess what! He was on the startup line. He played the whole game. And he played a GREAT game. Dude managed to score. I was speechless. For the first time I was watching the Senators play, I was watching someone else but Ray Emery. Yes unbelievable!
Why? Because it was for me the best lesson I could possibly had on what it means to focus on the task at hand. At the end of the game, I said to myself “If this guy, can forget about his newborn baby (I think it was his first baby) and focus on a hockey game… I will kick myself in the butt next time I claimed not being able to focus.”

Someone without focus: an ADD person (Attention Deficit Disorder)
Won’t elaborate much on it. Chances that you know someone who suffers from ADD. Think how hard it is or was for them to learn in school. Why? Simple. They cannot focus on a task for too long.

My question for you: are you able to focus on a task until it’s successfully completed or do you suffer from a lack of focus?
If you suffer from a lack of focus, it’s better to recognize it and seek the help necessary because your whole future depends on it. And yes it is possible, I know an ADD person who is a millionaire.

Wow let me stop right now… I’m starting to sound like Dr. Phil.

Wishing you a wonderful week!
Jephtée E.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Its interesting that you mentioned Attention Deficit Disorder as I always associated it with learning disorders in children but never thought of how it manifests itself in adults.

I think that the level of focus has to do with how motivated on is or what the motivating factor is. It could very well be that this player that you mentioned was doing it for his new born on that day, so that was his motivation.

My! another interesting article! How did you stay focus during such a festive season to write such an article? Its hard for me to imagine, with all the food, family and friends around.

Anyway best wishes to all for the new year from sunny St. Lucia